Saturday, July 10, 2021

Day Seventy Three South Dunedin

The streets of South Dunedin are feeling like they are endless as I walked 20 streets today.

890. Millington Street
891. Bradshaw Street
892. Wesley Street
893. Osmond Street
894. Prendergast Street
895. Cutten Street
896. Bathgate Street
897. Reid Road
898. Largo Avenue
899. Joyce Avenue
900. Macandrew Road
901. Crowder Avenue
902. Fox Street
903. King Edward Street
904. Thomas Street
905. Fingall Street
906. Cashel Street
907. Arney Street
908. Wynyard Street
909. Glasgow Street

The streets of South Dunedin are not only narrow but they criss cross each other on the flat and the only views that the residents of these narrow streets have are of their neighbours. 

One of the narrow streets I walked down today had me a bit confused as it had roadworks on the footpaths down both sides of the street.  The footpath I was walking down was blocked with a fence surrounding a deep hole in the footpath and it had a sign telling me to use the other footpath, however this footpath was being resealed and had a sign telling me to use the the other footpath.  Luckily the narrow streets are not busy and I was able to walk down the middle of the road. 

Another interesting street I walked down today was Prendergast Street where all the houses are small and are of the same design with the only difference being the colour each house is painted. There is no off street parking for any of these houses so I imagine finding parking in this street will be difficult which is probably why cars are parked facing in different directions.

I walked past Bathgate Park sports grounds today, where the sports grounds take up nearly a whole block of South Dunedin.  This sports field has weekend sports and is home to the Southern Rugby Football Club.  It is also one of the only parts of my walk that I was able to see a view of the city hills.


Bordering the long edge of Bathgate Park is the Donaghys rope factory.  The factory has been on this site making rope since 1876.  The rope making part of the building runs 350m along the full length of the Bathgate Park sportsfield.
I noticed only one interesting letterbox on my walk today.This (slightly broken) letterbox is designed to look like a brick house, similar to the house it represents. 
The street art that I walked past today was this large mural on the side of a building representing the native wild life found around Dunedin.

And this picture made from bottle tops which is on the side of another building.  It is very well done with some thought has been put into what coloured bottle tops to use and where to place them.

Distance walked:  9.3  km         Walking time   1 hr 39 mins  
 
Total distance: 588.4 km       Total walking  110 hr 3 mins 

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...