Monday, July 5, 2021

Day Seventy Two South Dunedin

 Today I was back walking the streets of South Dunedin and I walked 15 streets today

875. Hillside Road
876. Law Street
877. Burns Street
878. Neville Street
879. Murrayfield Street
880. Wilkie Road
881. Rankeilor Street
882. Broughton Street
883. Lorne Street
884. Waverley Street
885. Braemar Street
886. McBride Street
887. Brandon Street
888. Sullivan Avenue
889. Carey Avenue

I started my walk this morning with another beautiful sunrise.  The temperature was warmer than yesterday so there was not the frost that I had experienced yesterday morning.  

Today I started walking the streets that took me towards Carisbrook.  The streets here are wider than some that I walked yesterday with trees and grass verges.  In other seasons, the trees would be covered in leaves but in winter, they are bare of leaves

From the corner of South Road and Burns Street, I was able to look over the old Carisbrook site.  Carisbrook was a major sporting venue in Dunedin.  This site was first developed for sports in the 1870's and hosted international cricket in 1883.  Rugby international tournaments were first hosted at Carisbrook in 1908 with the last game being played at Carisbrook in 2011 when the home of Otago Rugby was moved to the new Forsyth Barr Stadium. 

Some of the land where Carisbrook stood has been built on with industrial buildings while much of it remains untouched.  It is sad to think that this land was once the infamous 'house of pain' due to it's reputation as being a difficult venue for visiting rugby teams to play.  

I was pleased to see the historic turnstile gates are still in place at Carisbrook.  These gates have ushered many sports fans into Carisbrook.

I had not realised till now how narrow that gates are.  People must have been smaller when the gates were built or maybe it was a way to ensure that only one person at a time could enter. 

Part of my walking the streets today was down the main shopping area of South Dunedin. The shopping area is an eclectic mix of second hand and small local shops.  The area is an alternative to the main shopping area.

Walking past the Gasworks Museum was very interesting and I only wished that I had been later in the day when the museum is open.  The Dunedin Gasworks Museum is part of the now closed Dunedin Gasworks which was New Zealand’s first and last gasworks, operating from 1863 until 1987. It is one of only three known preserved gasworks museums in the world.

I walked St Patrick's Basilica during my walk this morning.  This site was purchased in 1873 with plans to build a church and school here. A school-chapel was opened in 1878 with building of this Basilica being delayed. It wasn't opened until 1894.  In the early 2000's the Basilica was in a poor state of repair and underwent major renovations and reopened in 2016.

Just down the road from Carisbrook was a wall of graffiti type street art.  The street art makes good use of an otherwise blank wall that runs the length of the street. 




South Dunedin has much street art and below are some more that I walked past today.




Distance walked:  7  km         Walking time   1 hr 16 mins  
 
Total distance: 579.1 km       Total walking  108 hr 24 mins 

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...