Saturday, July 3, 2021

Day Seventy One Forbury Corner

 It was a frosty start to the morning so I opted to walk some more of the South Dunedin streets. Today I walked 18 streets.

857. Helena Street
858. Loyalty Street
859. Nicolson Street
860. Nelson Street
861. Richmond Street
862. Surrey Street
863. Wilson Avenue
864. Wycolla Avenue
865. Achilles Avenue
866. Fitzroy Street
867. Sussex Street
868. Ruskin Terrace
869. Thorn Street
870. Alfred Street
871. Edwin Street
872. Josephine Street
873. Eastbourne Street
874. Baker Street

The morning was lovely and clear which meant the streets were sparkling with frost.  I did my best to stick to the sunny side of the streets until the frost had melted.
Walking on the flat of South Dunedin means there are not many views, however the Frances Hodgkins Retirement Village dominates what view of the hills there was.  I have already walked the streets surrounding the retirement village back in late January. 

Other parts of my walk, I was able to see the hills of Kew and it is a good feeling knowing that I have already walked all of the streets that I could see on this hill.

Being on the flat the streets of South Dunedin are a bit like a maze, walking up and down the streets without being able to see how far I had come and how much further to go.  It was easy to lose sight of which streets I had walked and some streets I needed to walk twice to ensure that I hadn't missed any parts.

 

Some of the streets are very narrow with the houses pushed close up against each other. 

While other streets were wider, with grass verges and trees.  The houses on these streets were much larger but they still didn't have any views.  

South Dunedin is one of the older suburbs of Dunedin which meant that today I walked past quite a few older houses.  One in particular that I noticed is Faringdon House which was built in 1882.  At the time, most of the houses in the area would have been built from wood, whereas Faringdon House is made from brick.


I walked past this bus stop painted with people waiting for the bus

And the side of this shop that had a painting on the side that looked like a child playing on the other side of the fence.

And finally, I walked past this letterbox which looks like the person who lives here loves surfing.


Distance walked:  10.2  km         Walking time   1 hr 49 mins  
 
Total distance: 572.1 km       Total walking  107 hr 8 mins 

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...