Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Day Forty Three Halfway Bush

 The weather had been foggy and I had thought I'd give walking a miss but then during dinner it cleared and off I went.  Today I walked 9 streets

561. Salmond Street
562. Strode Street
563. Stephen Street
564. Gilkson Street
565. Spiers Road
566. Fenwick Street
567. Turner Street
568. Taieri Road
569. Colinsay Street

Today I was walking on some of the highest streets I have walked so far.  I was reward with fantastic views on Salmond Street, looking over other hill suburbs, and being able to see as far as the harbour and the peninsula. 

After walking my way around Gilkinson Street and it's side streets, I was onto walking Taieri Road.  One of the side streets off Taieri Road that I walked was Spiers Road.  Spiers Road also happens to be the highest street I have walked so far.  


Spiers Road is a little known alternative access to Flagstaff.  Once past the sealed road, you continue up the gravel road until you cross a stile over a fence then follow the marked trail all the way to the top.  The Spiers Road track is about 2km in length and is a 'paper road' that crosses farmland so expect to encounter live stock and gorse.   

After Spiers Road, I continued walking along Taieri Road to where it joins Three Mile Hill.  This was my turn around point and I walked back along the other side of Taieri Road to walk some more side streets

Taieri Road is the end of city before heading over Three Mile Hill to Mosgiel.  The last few houses on Taieri Road have an outlook over farmland towards Brockville.  It is also one suburb that is sure to get snow during winter.


Distance walked:  5.4 km      Walking time  1 hr 01 mins    

Total distance: 358.2 km       Total walking  67 hr 21 mins


No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...