Monday, March 22, 2021

Day Forty Two Wakari

Looking back over the map, I noticed that I missed off counting Balmacewan Road.  Balmacewan Road is quite a long street and I started walking it a couple of weeks ago and have walked different parts of it since then.  Yesterday I finished walking the 'missing' parts of Balmacewan Road and since I haven't counted it already, I will count it as my first street for today.  I walked 10 streets today.

551. Balmacewan Road
552. Helensburgh Road
553. Hood Street
554. Gibson Street
555. Kempthorne Place
556. Wakari Road
557. Hanlon Street
558. Kohu Place
559. Kereru Close
560. Raoulia Close

I completed a few long streets today, streets that I had walked parts of earlier, Balmacewan Road being one and Helensburgh Road being another.  From Helensburgh Road, I walked down Hood Street then back up again taking a breather to walk along Kempthorne Place which is a reasonably new subdivision with great views looking towards Brockville where I have not walked yet.

The residents of Kempthorne Place not only get great views of Brockville, they also get excellent views looking down to Kaikorai Valley (where I have already walked).

Next I walked up part of Taieri Road so I could finish walking Wakari Road which is also another long street and I have walked parts of already.  Waikari Road looks straight towards Mt Cargill with Flagstaff on the left. I didn't realise how much Waikari Road climbs up and down until I stood here to look back where I had walked.

From Wakari Road, I walked three shorter cul-de-sac's, each with fantastic views.  Kohu Place and Raoulia Close look towards Mt Cargill.


While Kereru Close looks toward Wakari and the streets that I have been walking over the last couple of days. 

An interesting thing I passed on my walk today was another painted bus stop.  This one is beside a dog exercise park and is aptly painted with dogs on it.

There is a power substation on Waikari Road and what I noticed about the streets surrounding it, are the houses built amongst the pylons and under the high voltage power lines. 


 

And finally for today I am including the Google map of Dunedin with the streets I have walked in red.  I have walked most of the hill suburbs with the flat of city centre and South Dunedin still to walk as well as the suburbs on the peninsula, towards Port Chalmers and towards Mosgiel.  Phew, there are still plenty more streets for me to walk.


Distance walked:  6.5 km      Walking time  1 hr 13 mins    

Total distance: 352.8 km       Total walking  66 hr 20 mins

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...