Sunday, March 21, 2021

Day Forty One Helensburgh

 It was another lovely day to be out walking the streets and I walked 15 streets today.

536. Pioneer Crescent
537. Derwent Street
538. Caleb Place
539. Joshua Place
540. Honeystone Street
541. Larkins Street
542. Tuckett Street
543. Centennial Avenue
544. Mayfield Avenue
545. Holyrood Avenue
546. Lynn Street
547. Strathern Avenue
548. Jason Street
549. Upland Street
550. Blantyre Road

I started my walk on Helensburgh Road but I still have quite a lot of Helensburgh Road to walk so I can't count it towards my street total yet but it is worth mentioning because this part of Helensburgh Road runs beside a creek.  It would be very pleasant living in this part of Helensburgh Road with all the green trees surrounding the creek.
 
Part of my walk took me along Wakari Road to Caleb Place and Joshua Place where the residents have farmland and Flagstaff on their backdoor 

During my walk I walked up Honeystone Street which borders the edge of farmland on Flagstaff.  The views from here were worth the rest stop to catch my breath. 

 After my post yesterday about never getting lost in Dunedin when you can see Mt Cargill, I was able to see Mt Cargill from Larkins Street. 

The other reason that you can never get lost in Dunedin is that if you can't see Mt Cargill, then you can see Flagstaff (and often you can see both!) Flagstaff is the hill in the background of this photo. The best views of Dunedin city are from the top of Flagstaff.  

This is the view from Flagstaff.  It is great to look at this view and know that I have walked most of the city that I can see.  There is still a lot of Dunedin that I need to walk but for the main part, I have walked most of the city centre in this photo.  I did not walk to Flagstaff today but I am showing this picture taken from a couple of days ago.

On my walk today I passed two painted telephone cabinets.  I love how the city has embraced the painted telephone cabinet and use them as 'public art'

Today I saw one of the funniest things I have seen on my walks and I had to stop and look twice to make sure I was seeing what I thought I had seen the first time I looked.  Why anyone would choose to build half a bicycle into the wall of their house I do not know but it is certainly a little unusual. 

There were two letterboxes that caught my attention during my walk today.  The first is this courier van letterbox that (I imagine) belongs to a house owned by a courier driver and the other is this American style barn. 

Distance walked:  9.8 km      Walking time  1 hr 48 mins    

Total distance: 346.3 km       Total walking  65 hr 07 mins


No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...