Saturday, June 26, 2021

Day Sixty Eight South Dunedin

With threatening rain clouds,  I decided it was time to walk some of the streets on the flat of South Dunedin.  Today I walked 8 streets.

836. Turakina Street
837. Portsmouth Drive
838. Teviot Street
839. Otaki Street
840. Timaru Street
841. Colston Street
842. Andersons Bay Road
843. Midland Street
 
Part of my walk today took me along Andersons Bay Road which follows the shoreline of the harbour mouth before the land was reclaimed in the 1940's.  All the streets I walked today are on reclaimed land. This is a view looking along Andersons Bay Road, where the shoreline would have been prior to 1940.

I have skirted around parts of the harbour during my walks over recent months and today I walked along Portsmouth Drive which gives one of the best views of the city skyline and harbour.  On a calm day, it is a beautiful place to enjoy the view of Mt Cargill.

And looking the other way towards Waverley which is one of the first suburbs that I walked when I started this journey.  I walked this area back in January and it is good to know that I have walked all the streets that I can see from here.

I was quite excited to see this fur seal sunbathing on the edge of the harbour.  The seal doesn't look at all perturbed to be lying so close to a busy road, and it didn't mind getting it's photo taken. 
 
I walked along Portsmouth Drive which  was opened in 1978 after all the surrounding land was reclaimed.  Prior to the land being reclaimed, it was a causeway that ran along the edge of the harbour from 1912 and was used as access to the southern part of the city in the early days.  From the 1940's to the 1970's the land around here was reclaimed from  dredging the harbour.  The land is quite low lying and it is easy to see that there is no where for the water to go after heavy rain.


At the end of Portsmouth Drive, just before heading down the edge of the harbour is this large 3D map of the peninsula.  It is a great place to stop and see the topography of the peninsula and where the roads and walking tracks are. 

I found it to also be a good place to see how far I need to walk to get to the end of the peninsula.  This sign was also good for letting me know the distance I still need to walk. It looks like I have a 28km walk ahead of me to get to the end of the harbour.

Today I walked past two buildings with art on them.  This one is of a a couple of Tui and the forest.

The other is this penguin and the litter we leave in our wildlife's habitat.


Distance walked:  7.6  km         Walking time   1 hr 20 mins  
 
Total distance: 546 km       Total walking  102 hr 22 mins 

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...