Sunday, June 27, 2021

Day Sixty Nine Peninsula

Today I walked from the Andersons Bay Inlet to Macandrew Bay and the few streets in between.  I walked 6 streets today.

844. Ivanhoe Road
845. Irvine Road
846. Proctors Road
847. Weller Street
848. St Ronans Road
849. Rosehill Road
 
I started my walk just as the sun was rising and had a lovely view down the harbour.  Looking from here, I have a long way to walk before I get to Taiaroa Heads at the end.
I started walking from the Andersons Bay Inlet (at the 3D map of the peninsula where I had been walking yesterday).  Looking one way down the harbour, I could see towards Taiaroa Heads and the other way, I could see the city and Portsmouth Drive which I had walked along yesterday.
 

As I walked along the edge of the harbour, I was able to look over towards the city with Flagstaff in the distance.  It is a good feeling knowing that I have walked all the streets that I can see from here. 

I really enjoyed my walk today along the shared cycle/walking path.  Work began in 2018 to widen the road and put in this shared cycle/walking path from Andersons Bay Inlet to Portobello.  During my walk on the pathway, I saw quite a few people walking and running and was passed by many cyclists.

While I walked 8km of Portobello Road today, there is still another 8km to go before I can count it towards my street total.  I did get to walk up 6 streets that come off Portobello Road and these streets are narrow and some are quite steep.  The added bonus of these streets is getting good views back down to Portobello Road and I was able to see the houses perched on the side of cliffs above the road. 

All the way along my walk today, I saw many sea birds including sea gulls, oyster catchers and shags.

I reached the end of my walk today at Macandrew Bay.  The sandy beach at Macandrew Bay is popular at all times of the year and the interesting thing about this beach is that the sand is not naturally occuring here and is bought in each year by trucks to replenish the beach.  

Macandrew Bay is picturesque and has the feel of a small, seaside community that has the benefits and attractions of the city which is only a 10 minute drive away.  From here, I was able to see many of the streets that I need to walk.  Most of them look to involve walking on the hills again but there will be some great views I am sure.

There was a lot to see on my walk today.  I walked past a number of boat sheds and I found this one in particular interesting with it's wheel and gantry. 

Another unusual thing I walked past today is the floating golf pontoon with the hole in one challenge where you hit a golf ball from the land to the pontoon.  There was no one about this early so I didn't get to see anyone trying for a hole in one. 

The harbour is popular for recreation and today I saw a group rowing and a paddle boat group getting in some early morning training despite the cooler temperatures of winter.  

Yesterday I was lucky to see a fur seal lying in the sun on the edge of the harbour and today I saw a seal swimming just off the shore.  I first noticed it when it was thrashing around in the water, then realised that it was eating a large fish before it swam along beside me for a while. 

And this is as a photo of as close as I could get of the seal swimming in the harbour. 

 I walked past this stone wall and door into the cliff which is an old powder magazine built in 1864 during the gold rush because there was so much explosives being handled in Dunedin that somewhere secure to store it was urgently needed.  The stone wall has survived nearly 160 years in this environment.

I saw a number of pieces of street art today.  The bus stops on the peninsula are all cleverly painted and this one in particular was well done with a queue of  'people' waiting for the bus

There has been a huge amount of work that has gone into the wall that has been built to widen the road and include the cycle/walking path and it is a real asset for the city going by the number of people using the pathway. 

For me one of the highlights of walking the cycle/walking path are the views down the harbour.  There are lots of areas with seating and plants giving people the opportunity to just sit and enjoy the beauty of our city. 
 
Distance walked:  11.6  km         Walking time   2 hr 10 mins  
 
Total distance: 557.6 km       Total walking  104 hr 32 mins 


No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...