Sunday, January 24, 2021

Day Seventeen Kew

 After looking at the map for yesterday's walk I realised that I had missed a street altogether.  Winston Place comes off Seaview Terrace and does not have a street sign so I had thought it was a private street when I walked past yesterday.  Looking at the street map, I can see that it is a public street and today I corrected my mistake and walked Winston Place before starting the rest of my walk.  

 I enjoyed walking today and concentrated on the streets of Kew.  Today I walked 19 streets

194.Winston Place
195. Forbury Road
196. Fenton Crescent
197. Allandale Road
198. Coney Hill Road
199. Easther Crescent
200. Pencarrow Street
201. Rutherford Street
202. David Street
203. Hazel Avenue
204. Playfair Street
205. Murray Street
206. Embo Street
207. Skibo Street
208. Dornoch Street
209. Lockerbie Street
210. Marewa Street
211. Bangor Terrace
212. Rainton Road
 
One of the first streets I headed up was Fenton Crescent which has access to Francis Hodgkinson Retirement Village.  From Fenton Crescent it is easy to see all the stabilization work that has been done on the hillside and how close to the edge of the cliff the buildings are.  It is also the first street that I have walked that has seats to stop and rest while on the way up the hill.  
 
 I continued on along Forbury Road and did a detour up Allandale Road to Coney Hill Road where I stopped to look at the view over St Kilda and St Clair streets, which I have already walked.



 
Then it was back down the hill to Forbury Road and along to the steps connecting Forbury Road to Easther Crescent which climb up the hill beside the Francis Hodgkinson Retirement Village.  The retirement village has a prominent position on the hill and is seen from most parts of the city.  The village residents have a fantastic view looking over South Dunedin.  I was happy to have a rest here after walking up the Forbury to Easther Crescent steps. 

 

From here it was up and down the hill a couple of times as I tried not to miss any streets. After walking down the hill to complete another part of Easther Crescent, I walked along the flat to walk the streets around the Caversham shopping area before heading up Playfair Street and turning off onto Murray Street.  From here the streets wind around and up the hill towards Middleton Road, where I finished yesterday.  All the streets in this area have amazing views.   

From Embo Street the view changes from the city to look towards Balaclava and Maryhill showing me an area that I have not walked yet.  I love how green Dunedin is with all the trees and bush. 

Today I noticed a few interesting things on my walk.  One is this Braeside stone in the wall on the corner of Allandale Road and Coney Hill Road.  I could find anything to tell me what it was for but I am assuming it is the name of the house behind the stone wall.  Sadly I could not see the house as it is well screened from the street. The other interesting thing I noticed was this 'lift' that could be used to transport a person or items up the hill to the house.  I am guessing it is not used anymore as the lift is old and looks to be overgrown through disuse.  

 
I also stopped to admire the Caversham Presbyterian Church with it's spire and beautiful stone work.  It is sad to note that it is no longer in use due to needing earthquake strengthening. 


 

Distance walked: 11.8 km     Walking time 2 hr  15 mins    

Total distance: 145.1 km       Total walking  26 hr 30 mins





No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...