Monday, January 25, 2021

Day Eighteen Corstorphine

 The weather was starting to change with cloud coming in so the views today were not as clear as previous walks.  Today I walked 17 streets.

213. Corstorphine Road
214. Traquair Street
215. Crammond Avenue
216. Middleton Road
217. Stenhope Crescent
218. Avondale Street
219. May Street
220. Westgate
221. Hilltop Crescent
222.  Hillhead Road
223. St Clair Close
224. Bruntsfield Place
225.  Dovecote Avenue
226. Clermiston Avenue
227. Summertime Avenue
228. Gilmerton Street
229. Milburn Street

I thought the easiest thing to do was to start today's walk by going uphill so that I could finish with a downhill. Today I started by walking up Corstorphine Road.  There are a number of side streets off Corstorphine Road and these gave me a break from the uphill.  One of these side streets, Crammond Avenue gave me good views of the city.  

Corstorphine Road is not so steep once past Crammond Avenue and I made my way round to Middleton Road then further up the hill to Stenhope Crescent.  I was surprised at how far these streets went and how many houses there are in Stenhope Crescent and the streets that lead off it.  The views form Stenhope Crescent are also worth stopping for a look.  
 
 
From here it was time to turn around and start heading back down the hill.  After walking through Westgate I was onto Hillhead Road.  I had walked part of Hillhead Road on an earlier walk and today I got to walk right to the end.  After passing the houses, Hillhead Road changes into a more rural area.  
 
The end of Hillhead Road is marked on the map as having access to Tunnel Beach but in reality it does not.

 

From here it was back along Hillhead Road and continue walking the streets of Corstorphine, making my way back to where I started.  I found Corstorphine interesting walking as there are a number of pathways connecting the streets which meant that I only needed to walk one way on some of cul-de-sac streets.  

During my walk today I noticed a few interesting things. One was this cute letterbox.  It is such a happy looking letter box that it made me smile.  Another is the large anchor outside the club rooms of the Otago Underwater Club on the corner of Crammond Avenue and Corstorphine Road

 
 
 I was a bit disappointed that the sun was not shining today as I would like to have seen this sun dial in Westgate working.
 

 
I really liked this bus stop that I passed today.  Thomas Sidey was a politician who was first elected to government in the Caversham electorate then the Dunedin South Electorate until 1928.  He lived in the family home of Corstorphine House until his death in 1933.  
 


Distance walked: 11.6 km     Walking time 2 hr  09 mins    

Total distance: 156.7 km       Total walking  28 hr 41 mins


No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...