Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Day 104 Mosgiel

 Today I was back walking the streets of Mosgiel where I walked 11 streets.

1382. Park Street
1383. Bishop Verdon Close
1384. Laing Street
1385. Cargill Street
1386. Church Street
1387. Glasgow Street
1388. Irvine Street
1389. Argyle Street
1390. Lanark Street
1391. Montrose Street
1392. Berwick Street
 
Like yesterday, the streets I walked today are long, straight and flat.  Today there was cloud/fog covering most of Saddle Hill. 
Whichever direction I walked today, the views were pretty much the same.  Walking the flat can become monotonous as each street starts to look the same and I need to concentrate to make sure that I don't miss any streets. 

I walked all of Church Street today and in Church Street is this impressive Presbyterian Church dating back to 1912, which I am guessing the street is named after.  It looks like there have been some modern touches added with the glass front.

Also in Church Street is the St Mary's School.  Originally founded in 1892, the catholic school was held in the church until 1912 when this building was available and the school with around 50 students moved in.  In the 1950's the roll had grown and a new school was built nearby.

Another interesting building that I walked past is the old fire station that has been turned into a theatre and is home to the Taieri Dramatic Society. Founded in 1949, the Taieri Dramatic Society held two shows a year in the Mosgiel Coronation Hall until it purchased the old fire station in 1989 and now has it's own home.

I walked past this tanawha painted on the side of a building.  Maori legend has it that Saddle Hill is the remains of the tanawha Matamata which was the guardian of a Maori chief and warrior who lived in a village beside the Otago Harbour.You can see that the back and head of the tanawha are in the shape of Saddle Hill.
 I also walked past this wall that is a beautifully painted ANZAC memorial.  The painting is very large as the soldiers are painted in life size. 
I have not seen many interesting letterboxes lately so I was very pleased to see this fun All Blacks letterbox during my walk today.
This map shows the streets I have walked in red.  It is easy to see how many streets in Mosgiel I have walked compared to the streets that I still need to walk.
Distance walked:  8.5 km         Walking time  1 hr 30 mins   
 
Total distance: 859.5  km          Total walking  160 hr 50 mins 

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...