Sunday, October 24, 2021

Day 103 Mosgiel

Today I started walking the streets on the flat part of Mosgiel and I walked another 15 streets.

1367. Ayr Street
1368. Emlen Place
1369. Hall Street
1370. Mure Street
1371. King Street
1372. Inglis Street
1373. McDonald Street
1374. Shaw Street
1375. Dutton Place
1376. Steven Place
1377. Ashton Street
1378. Burns Street
1379. Duke Street
1380. Bruce Street
1381. Queen Street

I started my walk at the railway line.  Yesterday I walked the streets on the right of the railway line and today, I was walking streets on the left of the railway line.  

And once past the railway line, the streets were long, straight and flat.   Mosgiel is named after Mossgiel Farm in Ayrshire,Scotland which was the farm of the poet Robert Burns whose nephew Thomas Burns was a co-founder of the region in 1848.

While walking these streets, I was able to look over to Saddle Hill where I could easily see the reason for the name.  Saddle Hill is one of only two places in Otago to have been named by Captain James Cook during his 1769 voyage of discovery.  According to Maori legend the hill is the remains of a tanawha.  

The view of Saddle Hill is the only view I saw today and because the streets in this part of Mosgiel are set out in a grid, I needed to keep track of which streets I had walked so I didn't walk them twice.

 
Some of the streets end at a farm fence.  I imagine that over time, there will be new houses built in this area but at the moment, it is a lovely peaceful looking place. 

It was nice to see the farm paddocks which broke up the monotony of walking the long, straight streets of Mosgiel.  In this part of Mosgiel, there are some very royal streets with names such as King Street, Queen Street and Duke Street.

 
I walked past this plaque which commemorates the site of the home built for Arthur Burns in 1850.  Arthur Burns was the son of Thomas Burns who was one of the co-founders of the region.  Arthur Burns founded the Mosgiel Woolen Mills and was a member of the New Zealand House of Representatives

 
One interesting thing I walked past today was this 'Beautiful Street' competition sign from 1992.  I have only seen a couple of these signs during my walk.  Most of the poles that these signs were attached to have been replaced over the years. 

While walking the streets of Mosgiel, I walked past these two fun advertising 'statues'.  The tin man is made from exhaust parts and the other tyre bear was outside a tyre shop.

Below is the map of Mosgiel and the streets we have walked are in red.  Today we walked the grid of streets on the left while the red streets at the bottom of the map are where I was walking yesterday.
 
Distance walked:  10.3 km         Walking time  1 hr 50 mins   
 
Total distance: 851  km          Total walking  159 hr 20 mins 

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...