Saturday, December 18, 2021

Day 125 Recreate first day of street walking

While I had finished walking every street in Dunedin yesterday, I thought it fitting to walk the first streets again.  I started from my home and walked to the very end of Campbells Road.  Campbells Road changes from a sealed street to a gravel road and from here, I had good views of Flagstaff.

 Nearer the end of Campbells Road, I was able to look across to North East Valley, to where I had been walking yesterday. 

And finally I had a fantastic view of the city of Dunedin.  Last time I stood looking at this view, I was contemplating walking every street in the city.  Now, less than a year later, I can say that I have walked every street, and more, that I can see.  

I have enjoyed the challenge.  There has been a lot of walking, 1032 kilometres, and I have walked almost 1700 streets, through mostly sunshine and occasionally rain.   One thing is for certain, Dunedin is a city of hills and there are a lot of steep streets.  Because of the hills and harbour, there are lots of streets with great views and I have discovered many parts of the city that I had never been to before.

At the start of my challenge to walk every street in Dunedin, I came up with some 'rules' which included 

  1. Walking on one side of the footpath is enough to say that I have walked the street.
  2. Walking on sealed roads only
  3. Private streets/right of ways are not included
  4. Not walking on roads that have high speed limits and no footpath 

 I have stuck mostly to these rules and have walked the occasional gravel road.   It's been a good challenge and I am glad that I have completed it.

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...