Saturday, November 20, 2021

Day 115 Long Beach & Purakanui

While I haven't finished walking the streets in Port Chalmers yet, I headed over the hill from the port to walk the streets in the small suburbs of Long Beach and Purakanui.  I walked 12 streets today.

1549. Beach Road
1550. Mihiwaka Road
1551. Driver Street
1552. Baird Street
1553. Bay Road
1554. Watkins Street
1555. Mopanui Street
1556. Derdan Street
1557. Boundary Street
1558. Ridge Street
1559. Crescent Street
1560. Hill Street

Long Beach is a small coastal settlement within the Dunedin City boundary.  The beach, itself is 2.4km long and is a popular swimming beach as it is seldom affected by large swells or rips. The township of Long Beach is hemmed in between the beach and rocky bluffs or swampy farmland. 

There are around 100 houses in Long Beach with most being crib/holiday homes and the whole area has a lovely peaceful feel as it is one of the few areas that I have walked that doesn't seem to be growing with new houses. 


 
During my walk around the streets of Long Beach, I walked past the lagoon that is a popular place for children to canoe.  Today it is looking like it is full of water weeds but still very pretty. 

 
After walking the streets of Long Beach, I headed over the hill to walk the streets of Purakanui.  While Long Beach is flat walking, Purakanui is mostly hill walking with narrow and windy streets.

Purakanui is at the head of an inlet that is sheltered making it a good place to kayak.  The road goes down to the waters edge and on a calm day, it is a beautiful place to walk with fantastic views of the the inlet.
 
As I walked around the edge of the inlet, I was rewarded with great views looking towards Mopanui (the hill in the middle of this photo).  On the other side of Mopanui is the Orokonui Ecosanctuary.  The Ecosanctuary is a special piece of land that has been fenced off with a predator fence and has been turned into a giant aviary where the birds can fly in and fly out but while in the sanctuary they are protected and can breed.  

I really enjoyed my walk around the edge of the inlet as the views kept changing and around each turn gave me a chance to stop and see the hidden places that are not obvious at first glance.  This was a beautiful place to be. 
 
As I walked around the corner, I was able to see this historic 140 year old cottage right on the edge of the Purakanui inlet.  I was also able to see other steep streets that I would be walking. 

But before I reached those steeper streets, I had a great walk around the inlet where the views just kept getting better.

 
I couldn't resist taking photos as the view kept changing.  There are a number of boat sheds along the edge of the inlet making for a very picturesque walk. 

 
Eventually though, I had to leave the inlet and walk up the hill.  While the walking became harder, the views gave me a good reason to stop. 
 
While the houses are perched on the side of a hill, they all have amazing views. Some of the houses are quite far up the hill, while others are very close to the waters edge.

One of the streets that I walked down had this sign at the top.  It was quite an appropriate sign as the street was narrow and there was no where to turn a vehicle around.

This is the first time that I have seen this sign.  I didn't see any cats at all during my walk today but there must be at least one in the area.

 
During my challenge to walk every street in Dunedin, I have walked past many seats that are placed in some beautiful spots.

 
I walked past a couple of interesting letterboxes today.  I particularly liked the one with the garden growing on top of it. 

Distance walked:  7.3 km         Walking time  1 hr 22 mins    

Total distance: 949.6  km          Total walking  177 hr 08 mins 

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...