Monday, June 7, 2021

Day Sixty Six Green Island

 I decided to finish walking the streets of Green Island today and I walked 20 streets.

810. Scotland Terrace
811. Devonport Street
812. Tomkins Street
813. Quarry Road
814. Corbett Street
815. District Road
816. Church Street
817. Derby Street
818. Edinburgh Street
819. Rennie Street
820. Muir Street
821. Loudon Street
822. Kirkland Street
823. Geddes Street
824. Howden Street
825. Benfell Street
826. Shand Street
827. Jenkins Street
828. Harraway Road
829. Carnforth Street

Green Island is an unusual name for the suburb that I am walking today as it is not an island.  Green Island gets it's name from a nearby offshore island, Green Island/Okaihe.  Even more unusual is that the suburb Green Island is not near the sea and you cannot see the offshore island from the suburb of Green Island. 

Green Island has some steep streets and I started my walk today by walking up Scotland Street.  The good thing about hills is that you get some good views and I was rewarded with a good view of Saddle Hill. 

The residents of the houses in the first few streets that I walked have some very good views looking towards Saddle Hill and Abbotsford.  I have not walked the Abbotsford streets yet so it was a good chance for me to stop and see where I still have to walk.
I walked past the Green Island cemetery today which has a lovely outlook onto rural farm land.  I heard a lot of birdsong during this part of my walk.


 District Road was an interesting street to walk along as not only did I walk past a cemetery, but as I neared the end, the street turned from built up with houses to farmland and the views looking towards the hills opposite and Abbotsford really opened up. 
Once back down the hill and onto the flat, I walked the streets surrounding the Green Island shopping area and then down Harraway Road which runs down the side of the Harraway Mill which has been on its current site since 1867.
Harraway Road is a short street with a small one lane bridge over the Kaikorai Stream.  I had already walked over the Kaikorai Stream when I walked Kaikorai Valley. 
 
 The last street I walked today was Carnford Street which borders the Green Island Rugby Club fields.  This is where 69 houses slipped down the hill during the 1979 Abbotsford landslide.  Below is a photo of what the area is like today and the photo below was taken not long after the 1979 slip.
 
 


One of the more interesting things I walked past today was this old plow.  It was something that I would not have thought I'd see on the side of a road in a city suburb.
 
I saw a few farm animals on my walk today, including horses and sheep.  Running around the horse paddock was a pukeko but it was too far away for me to get a photo. 
I walked past the Green Island School which is one of Dunedin's older schools, opening in 1953. It's original site is where the cemetery is and  the school moved to this current site in 1862.


During my walk I walked past these two bus stops that are painted to represent rugby and tennis.  The tennis bus stop was outside the Green Island tennis club but the rugby bus stop was in the shopping area.
 

And finally, it's been a while since I shared the map of the streets that I have walked.  All the streets in red are the streets that I have walked over the last six months.

Distance walked:  11  km         Walking time   2 hrs 24 mins  
 
Total distance: 533.9 km       Total walking  100 hr 14 mins 


No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...