Sunday, August 15, 2021

Day Seventy Eight Fairfield

Today it feels like spring with warmer weather and a few spring flowers starting to show.  I walked 10 streets today.

973. Bremner Street
974. Howorth Road
975. Duxford Crescent
976. Holyport Close
977. Sunnyhurst Drive
978. Main South Road
979. Chadwick Street
980. Flower Street
981. Bellona Lane
982. Kennedy Road

The area that I am walking was once the main road out of Dunedin but when the Southern Motorway was built in the early 1970's, Fairfield became a quiet suburb.  The streets I walked today are wide and reasonably flat. 
At the start of Fairfield is the Sunnyvale sports fields.  These are very large sports fields that are popular for weekend sports
 
On my walk today, there was only the occasional view of the surrounding hills today.  The name Fairfield was given to the farm by one of Dunedin's early settlers.
Fairfield is one of the cities newer suburbs and borders farmland. I found it interesting where the city streets end and the gravel roads to the farmland begin.
One part of Fairfield borders a wetlands area.  It is a nice quiet and pretty space in amongst the roads and houses. 
The wetlands are home to a family of pukeko.  These pukeko didn't seem to be too worried about people and I spent some time watching them feeding among the plants of the wetlands.


 It was a lovely warm, sunny day today and I noticed lots of spring colour starting to show with rhododendrons and daffidols coming to life after the cold of winter.
 

 During my walk today, I saw these coloured ladybugs on the side of the road. They are super cute and I wonder if they are placed to stop cars from parking on the grass.
I walked past a number of interesting letterboxes during my walk today.  The telepone pole with insulators really intrigued me and I loved the one with the dog on top.  The Snoopy letterbox looked like a fun letterbox and the wooden plank made me wonder about the size of the tree that it came from. 


And finally I have added the map of Dunedin with the streets I have walked in red.  The streets I have been walking in the last few weeks are on the bottom left.

Distance walked:  7.5  km         Walking time  1 hr 18 mins  
 
Total distance: 631.4 km        Total walking  117 hr 47 mins 

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...