Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Day Forty Seven Brockville

 The forecast rain did not arrive which meant that I could get another walk in.  I finished walking the streets of Brockville and walked 13 streets.

598. McCurdy Street 
599. Statham Street
600. Herron Street
601. Caldwell Street
602. Barton Street
603. Nutsford Street
604. Brockville Road
605. Grigor Street
606. Travers Street
607. Sanda Street
608. McDonald Street
609. Domigan Street
610. Saunders Street

I started my walk by walking down Wray Street which I had walked most of yesterday.  There are expansive views from Wray Street, that encompass much of the city, including the harbour and peninsula as far as Harbour Cone.

There are two parts of Brockville, one side looks over the city with many of the streets having great views of the city. Then I walked around to the other side of the hill which has views looking over rural farm land and towards Flagstaff which was covered in fog today.  

 I found it interesting that the houses of Brockville  end at the intersection of Brockville Road and Dalziel Road.  On one side of the intersection is residential houses and on the other is open farm land and water department land.  

Brockville borders the Mount Grand reservoir where most of Dunedin's drinking water is treated.  The city's drinking water comes from Deep Creek and Deep Steam, piped to Mount Grand where it is treated before traveling through pipes to peoples homes in Dunedin. 

During my walk of Brockville, I passed a large Gum tree in the grounds of Brockville School.  I have seen this tree on the skyline often during my walks of the city streets.  

I passed two painted telephone cabinets on my walk today.  The first is painted with native kowhai flowers and seeds.  What was particularly interesting is that directly behind the kowhai cabinet is a kowhai tree.  The other telephone cabinet is painted in a style that reminds me of Doctor Seuss books. 


Distance walked:  6.7 km      Walking time   1 hr 14 mins    

Total distance: 381.2 km       Total walking  71 hr 34 mins

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...