Friday, January 29, 2021

Day Twenty Lookout Point

 It's been a couple of days since I've been able to walk and today I dodged the showers for a short walk to finish off the area between Caversham and Lookout Point.  Today I walked 5 streets.

240. Burnett Street
241. Caversham Valley Road
242. Sidey Street
243. Cole Street
244. Caversham Place

Today I walked one of the scarier streets, walking Caversham Valley Road which is also part of the Southern Motorway and is on the edge of two lanes of traffic.  It is a very busy piece of road and I was glad when I reached  the top of the hill and could turn off onto quieter streets. 


It was good to walk over the bridge at Lookout Point and look down onto the traffic and over the city.  As this is the main road heading South towards Mosgiel and the southern suburbs, it always has a lot of traffic and at certain times of the day, both lanes can be clogged with traffic.

 

After crossing the bridge, I took a slight detour on Mornington Road to see the Lookout Point Fire Station which was built in 1956 and is right on the side of the motorway. 

After crossing back over the bridge it was nice to get off the busy road and onto the quieter suburban streets.  I enjoyed the gentle gradient and views of South Road and Sidey Street.  

On my walk today I noticed how wall reinforcement methods have changed over time.  First I walked past this nice older concrete wall before coming across the more modern reinforced wall of the bridge.  


I also came across the plaque commemorating the completion of the over bridge in 2015 and in Cole Street there are is this sign beside some lettuce and silverbeet plants.  A lovely gesture by some generous residents. 


Distance walked: 4.2 km  Walking time  53 mins    

Total distance: 167.8 km       Total walking  30 hr 59 mins



No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...