Sunday, August 22, 2021

Day Eighty One Dalmore

Today my walk was shorter than the last couple of days as I continue to walk around the streets close to home.  I walked 8 streets today

1006. Fea Street
1007. Ramsay Street
1008. Bank Street
1009. Clifford Street
1010. Orbell Street
1011. Falkirk Street
1012. Fortune Street
1013. Franklin Street

This is State Highway One, the main road into Dunedin from the North and is usually a very busy road.  This morning as I walked beside the road, it was deserted with only the occasional truck going up or down.  This is what lockdown looks like. 

My walk today was similar to yesterday in that I walked down the hill, only to turn around and walk back up a different street. The streets I walked today are on the steep side of Pine Hill that gave me good views of Opoho.  I have not walked any streets in Opoho yet.

Once at the bottom of the hill, I walked alongside another quiet street that is normally very busy.  The last time I was in this area walking was back in April when the trees were covered in their Autumn leaves.  

 One of the quick ways up the hill is via the steps off Bank Street. These steps are a good workout and meant that I gained height very quickly. 

Once at the top of the stairs, the views start to open out again.  I enjoyed a rest at the top of the stairs to get my breath back. 

 
The last few streets were steep and I was glad to get to the top.  The good thing about stopping for a break on my way up these steep streets is looking at the view and knowing that I have walked every street that I can see.  
 
One of the more unusual things I saw today during my walk was a chicken walking along the footpath.  It didn't seem concerned to be out on the street or that I walked close by.  

Distance walked:  3.9  km         Walking time  48 mins  
 
Total distance: 656.9 km        Total walking  122 hr 40 mins 

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...