Sunday, May 2, 2021

Day Sixty Two Glenleith

Today I enjoyed walking in the quieter streets with all the autumn colours.  I walked 11 streets

761. Malvern Street
762. Harden Street
763. Islay Street
764. Andail Street
765. Fulton Road
766. Glenmore Street
767. Glenholm Street
768. Tanner Road
769. Garden Place
770. Hadley Close
771. Leithton Close
 
 My walk today started beside the Water of Leith.  It is a picturesque river surrounded by trees with a lot of bird life.  While I didn't see many of the birds, I could hear them often.
 

Malvern Street crosses the Leith a couple of times with houses on one side and the Water of Leith on the other side.  Malvern Street took me to the bottom of Flagstaff (the hill at the end of the street in the picture below).  I have been able to see Flagstaff from many parts of the city and have slowly been walking my way towards it. 

It was nice to walk up the hill as the views started to open up and I was able look towards the Northern Motorway and bush surrounding the northern end of Dunedin. 

Once I reached the top of the hill, I was able to follow the streets along the top of the ridge.  There were openings between the houses which gave me great views looking towards Pine Hill and the hills of Opoho in the background. 

Being on the top of the ridge also gave me a good view looking the other way at Flagstaff.  There is a popular walking track to the top of Flagstaff that starts just around the corner in the photo. 

And the final views I had for the day before walking down the hill, back to the Water of Leith, were looking towards the houses at the top of Pine Hill.  I have not walked the streets that I can see from here.

 
The last part of Tanner Road is a narrow, winding road that is only one way for downhill traffic.  It is quite picturesque at this time of year but I am pleased it is only one way because it is so narrow. 
On my walk today I passed this painted telephone cabinet.  The cabinet sits beside the Water of Leith and fits into it's surroundings beautifully as it is painted to represent the Water of Leith both in and above the water.  I have seen many painted telephone cabinets on during my walking every street in Dunedin and this is one of my favourite so far. 

Just across the road from the telephone cabinet is this bus stop that is painted with the birds of the area.  I heard the call of the Tui (as painted on the bus shelter) during my walk today.

One of the more unusual streets that I have walked is Andail Street.  Many years ago, part of the road slipped away and has never been fixed.  I am guessing that since Andail Street is a short street and the slip is after the last house the council thought the cost of repair wasn't worth it.  You can drive into both ends but the section that has slipped is only a walking track.

Today I walked past Craigieburn was a farm settled in 1860 by the Rankins whose daughter, Elizabeth Rankin lived on the site until her death in 1949 at the age of 93.  The farm is of significance due to having the Ross Creek Reservoir and untouched native bush.  The property with the resevior and bush was purchased for the people of Dunedin after the death of Elizabeth Rankin. 

I walked past two letterboxes worthy of a mention today.  Bothlook like they represent the kea with one being a painted letterbox and the other is metal representation. 


Distance walked:  8.6 km      Walking time   1 hr 38 mins     
 
Total distance: 497.6 km       Total walking  93 hr 06 mins

No comments:

Otago Harbour Cycleway 30 October 2023

With my sister in town, it seemed a shame to waste a calm, sunny day so the two of us hopped on a bike each to enjoy the recently opened 32k...